Allison left Saturday morning to fly back to Northern Virginia. It was a very exciting and tiring week for the both of us, and it was very hard to say goodbye to each other for the next two weeks.
On my way back from the airport, I stopped by the Google office to go to the gym (finally) and fill out an expense report from our house/apartment-hunting trip last week.
Now Allison will go back to teaching, and I'll be all alone here on the West Coast. How did I spend my first day of semi-bachelorhood? First, I spent about two hours waiting for a guy from the corporate housing office to fix the DSL connection here at the apartment. It took way longer than it should have, but it's now working, so I can't complain too much. After that, I made my first trip to Frys. I had heard about how cool it was, but I didn't quite believe the stories I heard. They're true - it's truly a nerdvana. For those of you who don't know, it's a West Coast electronics store. The one that I went to was close to the size of a Costco - but filled with consumer electronics, video games, photography equipment, major appliances, kitchen appliances, DVDs, electronic components, and more. It was so big, it had a cafe inside! And they don't just stock one or two items in each category - they had 48 different types of digital photo frames on display, and they were all working.
After Frys, I made my first trip to In-N-Out Burger. I ordered a double double with onions and a side of fries. It was excellent. How does it compare to Five Guys? Hard to say. The fries at Five Guys are thicker, but I think they are both equally excellent. Five Guys gives you a far wider range of toppings to customize your burger with - but I thought the quality of the toppings (lettuce, tomato, and onion) and the bun at In-N-Out tasted fresher. The actual beef tasted a bit better at Five Guys, from what I remember. Overall, I think it's kind of a wash - they're both excellent burger and fries joints, much much better than any other fast food burger out there.
Sunday I made it to the Sharks game at 5:00. The game was sold out, but I managed to get a good ticket from someone off of craigslist for face value. I took the VTA light rail from the apartment all the way down to the HP Pavillion - convenient enough. One random observation from the game was that they sell sushi and burritos at the concession stand - that was definitely a bit different from the regular popcorn and hot dogs that I'm used to seeing. San Jose has a bunch of good hockey fans - they were really into the game, and I had a great time. I think I'll try to catch the game Tuesday night as well.
It was a bit weird to see Curtis Brown score a goal with a Brian Campbell assist though:After Frys, I made my first trip to In-N-Out Burger. I ordered a double double with onions and a side of fries. It was excellent. How does it compare to Five Guys? Hard to say. The fries at Five Guys are thicker, but I think they are both equally excellent. Five Guys gives you a far wider range of toppings to customize your burger with - but I thought the quality of the toppings (lettuce, tomato, and onion) and the bun at In-N-Out tasted fresher. The actual beef tasted a bit better at Five Guys, from what I remember. Overall, I think it's kind of a wash - they're both excellent burger and fries joints, much much better than any other fast food burger out there.
Sunday I made it to the Sharks game at 5:00. The game was sold out, but I managed to get a good ticket from someone off of craigslist for face value. I took the VTA light rail from the apartment all the way down to the HP Pavillion - convenient enough. One random observation from the game was that they sell sushi and burritos at the concession stand - that was definitely a bit different from the regular popcorn and hot dogs that I'm used to seeing. San Jose has a bunch of good hockey fans - they were really into the game, and I had a great time. I think I'll try to catch the game Tuesday night as well.
1 comment:
Nerdvana made me lol
Post a Comment